Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014

How to Make Giant Strawberry Pocky Themed Polymer Clay Tools

So in the middle of shooting another tutorial video Saturday I realized my shabby tools aka: a pencil, a bobby pin, and anything else I use besides actual tools, look terrible. SOOO Why not make my own tools? I searched youtube and found terribly presented tools...I'm going to be using these tools every video. I can't have something ugly than what I was already using so I decided to get to work.
I have polymer clay that I don't use often so it was the perfect starting clay. For the handles I used cornstarch clay I will have to warn you so you don't make my mistakes. Even though the recipe for cornstarch clay calls for you to bake it at 175 degrees F for an hour this will not work on these tools if you make your handles as thick as I did. Bake it at 200 degrees F (TRUST ME) for 2 hours and 30 minutes. If you do it at normal time it will break because, the inside of the clay won't be baked all the way through. Now if you don't want to listen to me and use polymer clay for the handles you are welcome to I just don't like wasting polymer clay which is why I only used them to make the tips of my tools. I don't make a needle tool in the video but to make it use polymer clay for the strawberry part to stick the needle in. Trust me, it works and you'll love me for it.

Things you will need:

  • Cornstrach Clay Recipe: 2 tablespoons baking soda 1 tablespoons cornstarch, small amounts water until it is thick and shiny. Heat in the microwave for 60s in 30s increments to stir in between until it is a dough like consistency.If you want to add color add generous amounts of soft pastels and other substitutes while mixing the dough or after just kneed it in very well. 
  • Soft Pastels or Chalk Pastels (Makeup if you don't have either)
  • My template :)
  • Small amounts of Polymer Clay
  • Silver metallic craft paint
  • White craft paint.
  • Floral Craft Wire 
  • an OVEN
  • Optional: pink and red craft paints for added detail



Here's the video of everything you need to know and here is the template I made for my box you can download it here.







I didn't put the file in pdf format this time but for awesome display purposes I'm going to place it as a picture here below because *sings* It's my blog and I can do what I want to POST what I wanttt too.
Also Remember I'm on instagram at SeasonalFrostbite If you want to show off your work, get featured in my videos just go on instagram and type @SeasonalFrostbite Or #SeasonalFrostbite I love supporting other artists. If you don't have instragram I'm also On facebook just like the page and post a picture saying "Fan art" :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do! Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment